Sunday morning

I woke up this morning and wondered about the Christians moral code of living. Why some Christians are (dare I say defensively) ok with getting drunk, swearing, gossiping. And some aren't. 

I really wrestled this last year. 

Galatians tells me it's of the flesh, and we are to crucify it. To keep in step with the spirit, and to live by the spirit. I just can't imagine Jesus getting drunk, making crude and crass jokes, gossiping about others and slandering our christian leaders. 

I was in that wrestle when I was 19. And I went to america for summer camp and re-orientated my faith and theology. I lost a lot of friends when I came home because well I felt out of place with them all of a sudden. But I began to make new friends too, kings whose hearts were pure and whose speech was gracious. 

I've found myself in that wrestle again late last year. 

I didn't go to summer camp, but I did move home and take a sabbatical from my social scene (hehe). It was time to make a deicision. Either be in the faith and live congruently, or be in the world and I live congruently. Fight the fight of faith, or relax into the world. But either way stop yo-yo-ing and make a choice.  

I think the root to sin is often bitterness. 
When I was 19, it was bitterness at church stars who fell from grace. 
Now, at 25-30, it's people who realise their lives may not be what they thought they'd be, and they become bitter (even so subtly toward God) and it gives root to sin. They 'deserve' to do this. God 'owes them'.

So late last year I decided to step away. I found a new church and stopped hanging out with certain people. 
I figured by their fruit that they weren't the ones I wanted to yoke myself with anyway. Intentional with who I spend time with, I have new found simplicity and peace. And congruency between my faith and deeds. Best of all, purity with God and closeness with Him.

I've been reflecting on all this this morning, and I read Titus 2.11. I realised that all of this reflecting and decision making comes from above - God is working in me. 

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It reaches us to say no to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and saviour, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you."

So I feel encouraged that yes I've made mistakes, I'll probably keep making mistakes, but if I yield myself continually to God and ask for His Headship over my life .. he'll continue to give me the grace to discern and say no to ungodliness. Staying in Him, continual Repentance and trust in His precepts. He wants me to be free and holy more than I do .. So I can rest assured and encouraged that He will guide and show me how to do that. 

So yeh. I just wanted to share all that. 


Comments

Popular Posts