An eternal profession

On Tuesday morning I had my last "Integration Seminar" for this semester.
(Integration Seminars are the forntnightly meetings us Social Work students come back on camps to talk about our Social Work Placement stories and link theory to the practical experiences we've had).
I have 2 more weeks of my placement at Juvenile Justice, and then I've finished Semester 1, 2012! 
18 months to go.

But anyway. 
During the seminar this week, we were asked about how we felt working in a setting full time that constantly moved against the grain of mainstream opinion.
One girl raised her hand and said that studying social work had separated her from those she loved.
She went on to elaborate that since studying Social Work, she had felt her whole life had been completely transformed, but this semester she had changed so much that she had to break up with her boyfriend because they just were just 'too different'.

It got me thinking.
Early Social Work originated from Christians who loved God and felt deeply moved to help the poor.
They were people who truly loved God and were transformed by his love.
Linking their conviction with the study of the bible, 
they began to use it's principles to help and care for people.

100's of years later, Social Work students can't help but be also transformed as they work with those 
same biblical principles.
Without even knowing it, students over the world are allowing God's love for mankind 
touch their hearts and move them to do something about injustice. 
Oh the grace of God!


As far as I know, at the moment this girl would never dream surrendering her heart to God.
But, as she spoke, I thought - 'You just don't have any idea how in line with God you are! In his graceYou are being transformed by this all consuming love from Him for the world that separates you from your loved ones, by His grace you operate in his principles .. and you don't even realise it!'
Ah! So frustrating!

Later on, we moved on to a prestigous morning tea facilitated by lecturers, researchers and other such academics.
They acoladed us for our efforts so far, and inspired us to keep going.
But sadly, I thought, too....
'Pride in your education has separated you from God,
So much so that you deny his very existance.
You don't even realise that your desire to erradicate injustice
is a God-given gift
By his grace you are lovely.
By his grace He has enabled you to educate.
By his grace He allows you to fulfill His purposes of bringing justice in the world.
What a gift he has lavished on each one of you!
You don't even realise.

Mulling over this on the bus back to prac,
I kept thinking...
(I also listened to a timely podcast which I have provided a link for at the bottom)
Social Workers will forever just be putting a bandaid on the worlds problems without God. 
And they are large scale, dynamic problems that don't have a worldy solution
We're never going to 'save' the world
We're never going to 'fix' the structural disadvantages
Yes, we can truly 'listen', and 'help' that individual 
But in 80 years, when they and you are passed away, 
What will it all mean?

I don't want to just give people 'silver or gold'
(Housing,Accomodation,Counselling,Treatment,Food,Love)
I will give them Jesus, He is eternal.
Jesus is waiting for them when I've clocked off and I can't answer my phone
Jesus will be there when the system fails them again and nobody cares.
Jesus will be there when the structural factors further marginalise them and nobody advocates for them.

I want to couple my good deeds with my faith.
I pray under my breath that God would unveil himself to all whom I help.
I pray under my breath that the Kingdom of Evil operating in this persons life
Would be bound.
And that the Kingdom of God would be loosed upon their life.
If my ability to share the gospel is limited by policy and legislation,
Then I pray God would reveal himself to clients in a way that they would know.
I pray that clients hearts would be prepared for the messenger who can say something.

My prayer for myself, and for all christian Social Workers around the world 
Is that we would always
Set our minds on things above when working with people
And not loose focus that what we are up against with our clients is here today
And gone tomorrow. 
That by the grace of God,
He would forcefully advance the Kingdom of God through our love
And through our prayers.
That we would avoid burnout by continual surrendering of 
of each client for Him to reveal himself to them.
And to literally save their soul.

I pray that every Social Worker would know that we have an eternal profession

For His cause.






Comments

Popular Posts