a traveller's prayer

derived from deuteronomy chapter 8
a meditative prayer as i prepare to move to europe for 6 months

I reflect at this time that for the past few years, you have kept me in the woodwork to test what was in my heart and to see whether or not i would keep to your commands.
When i hungered intensely the college experience, friendship and travel, you hand fed me your precious word, filled me with your presence, and offered me a fine selection of christian women and teachers to help refine my character and doctrine. 
I learnt that man doesn't live on what the world says is a good time, but on the very words and provisions you arrange for me.

I have learnt things in this time that my forefathers have never known, and you have started something incredible in me for my future generations.

My clothes never wore out during these years and i can't count the number of walks, sunrises and sunsets where you gave me rest. It was in these times i would lay down my head and rest in your Lordship over my life.

Oh these precious times in this woodwork.

I know now in my heart that you have been disciplining me.
Thankyou  for the straits which mortified my pride and manifested my peverseness, proving to me what was really in my heart.
I now understand the depths of your grace in which you chose me, - i don't 'deserve' anything.
You have taught me self discipline and how to love you with all my heart, mind and soul.

May i never distrust you, or take sinful supply of my necessities, for it has been proven to me that you will always provide for me in my duty and honest dilligence.
May afflictions always quicken me to duty.
As i look back, i realise i have been furnished for obedience.

You led me unscathed through the vast desert, a desert wrought with snakes and scorpions,
you cracked rocks open to give me a drink of water.
You have tested me and by your grace, i think you may now be leading me into a land flowing with  milk and honey.
But God, by your grace, keep the thorns in my side so that i don't boast of my providence as self-bought.
I never want to say "The strength of my hands or my own wealth has done this for me."
Keep me always in a broken humility, for you alone have given me the ability to study and produce this, you alone orchastrate all my blessings.

As I move to Denmark, a new land of abundance, i will observe all the lifestyle commands you have taught me.
Keep me from pride, forgetfulness of God, carnal-mindeness, anxiety and a troubled mind over trivial matters. 
in my heart, keep me as a believing poor person who percieves all their supplies from your hand in answer to the prayer of faith. 
For you are the giver of all gifts, the redeemer of my soul, the healer of my heart, the joy in my spirit, the light of my life, you are the King of all kings, the Lord of all Lords, you are the one who saved me and now reigns over all my life and plans.
I am your servant, saved by your unfathomable grace and i seek to fall more in love and awe of you every day. 

May i bring you glory, and may your kingdom break forth into the land i step into.
Go before me, go behind me, hem me in, for i am yours and you are mine. 
Teach me new things, open my eyes to the glory of your creation, open my heart to new people, worldviews and perspectives. 
Create daily in me a new heart to hunger after you more than i have before.
For you are my King and i will worship you forever more.  
  

Psalm 89.15
"blessed are those who have learned to 
acclaim you,
who walk in the light of your 
presence, O Lord.
they rejoice in your name all day long;
they exult in your righteousness.
for you are their glory and strength,
and by your favor you exalt our horn."      

 




      


 
  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts